Why Become an Owner?
History of Community
The Grain Train is a natural foods cooperative created in 1971. For nearly 40 years the Grain Train has been a thriving neighborhood store offering the best in local and organic foods and products. In 2013, we expanded that reach to include Grain Train Neighborhood Market in Boyne City and our Grain Train Delivers, which services several cities around Northern Michigan.
We’ve grown and flourished thanks to you, our loyal customers and owners who have supported their local store for four decades.
Simply, our owners own the store. We carry fresh produce, packaged goods, supplements, beauty aides, wine, beer and other products that fit the Grain Train’s mission, product guidelines and interests of our owners. We are your store and your input counts. Often owners have suggested products to the Grain Train that, once checked and tested, have become hits among our entire customer base. If you want it, let us know. We will try and accommodate your needs and offer the products you want to see on our shelves. If the product is not something we feel we can regularly stock, you can always special order items or order through our buying club.
Your voice counts at the Grain Train too. Each year owners vote for candidates for the Board of Directors and for changes to the Grain Train’s By-Laws and on other major co-op issues. You make the decisions that guide the store.
Become an Owner
Becoming an owner is easy. Benefits begin with your first payment and you only need to join once. Your owner investment is $210 total. Your first payment is $35 ($10 administrative fee and your first $25 payment) and then $25 every six months until paid off. Or pay the entire $210 at one time and receive a $10 gift card.
Monthly, Grain Train owners are estimated to save $20 or more just from the owner benefits. In the end, it pays you, the owner, to invest in your local community owned co-op.
Equity is generally refundable, minus a $10 administrative fee, however the Board retains the right to withhold refunds when necessary to protect the financial well being of the Co-op. To obtain a refund of your equity, merely submit a letter stating that you would like a refund, for any reason.
Owner Benefits Include:
• Choose Your Own Owner Day. Once per month, on a day of the their choice, owners receive 10% off their total purchase, except for beer and wine.
• Discounts on case quantities and special orders. (10% off any sale item or 20% off a regular price item.)
• Free admission to the annual General Membership Meeting to get a report on your co-ops annual business and a great free meal from our deli.
• Full members are eligible for patronage rebates during profitable years, as determined by the Board of Directors.
• Full members are eligible to run for the Grain Train Board of Directors.
• Become part of a community of local and seasonal owners who have supported and helped the Grain Train grow and become the prime source for local, organic food for 40 years.